Welcome to Queendom! Today Netflix debuts the first teaser and announces that Queen Sono will release exclusively on Netflix worldwide on February 28, 2020.
Here’s what we know about Queen Sono so far:
- Queen Sono will be available globally on February 28, 2020, at the same time in 190 countries across the world
- Queen Sono is Netflix’s first script-to-screen, fully produced African original series with an all African cast and crew
- Queen Sono was in production for over eight weeks and was shot in 37 different locations across Africa, including the Johannesburg CBD, Sandton, Park Station, Soweto, Lagos, Kenya, and Zanzibar.
- Viewers can expect diverse languages throughout the series, including English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu, Russian and French.
- Queen Sono also stars Vuyo Dabula playing Shandu, an ex-spy who has taken a different path. Sechaba Morojele plays Dr. Sid, director of the SOG, with Chi Mhende, Loyiso Madinga, and Rob Van Vuuren, playing agents on his team. Kate Liquorish plays Ekaterina, heiress of an oligarch family with ulterior motives. Khathu Ramabulana plays Queen’s childhood friend, William, now in a relationship with Enhle Mbali Mlotshwa’s character, Nova. Abigail Kubeka plays Mazet, Queen’s beloved Gogo, who has always supported Queen – no matter the trouble she gets herself into.
Created and written by Kagiso Lediga
Written by: Karabo Lediga, Camilo Saloojee, Christopher Steenkamp, Muzi Dlamini
Directed by: Kagiso Lediga (named as one of Fast Company’s Most Creative People 2019) and Tebogo Malope (Cannes Lions and SAFTA award winner), with both directing three episodes each.
Executive produced by: Tamsin Andersson and Kagiso Lediga
Produced by: Netflix and Diprente
Did you catch our exclusive interview with the crew? Read all about it here.
Follow Glam Africa on social media: @GLAMAFRICAMAG